Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I need a plonk!

Plonk: (n.) A cheap bottle of wine

Yes, I should be in New Zealand by now. Yes, Nelson and I should have enjoyed that wonderful moment where we frolic across a field with dreamy music in the background and embrace after nearly two months of being apart. But no. Instead I am currently being embraced by the smells of McDonald's and Taco Bell in the international terminal of LAX. 

I wont go into all of the gory details, but suffice to say that American Airlines has proven itself again as the least reliable airline... or I suppose most reliable in the sense that three out of the last four times I have traveled with them I have gotten delayed some place overnight, and the fourth time I was simply delayed for 5 hours before take-off. Yesterday I was offered the wonderful choice of being delayed in Dallas overnight with no hotel, or returning, after a round of emotional goodbyes to my parents house. I chose NJ. So this morning without any expectations of actually leaving the country today, I set out for EWR again. 

So far, after a 3 hour delay on the runway in Newark due to what was legitimately the most intense thunderstorm I have ever experienced (can't blame AA for that one I suppose), I have made it to LA. Hooray! One step closer to becoming a Kiwi! I'm leaving fast food heaven for the bar I just spotted, and hopefully the next time you hear from me it will be from the far away continent of Oceania.

-dani

No comments: