Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Position Available: Apprentice

The problem with living in a hostel is that inevitably your friends are going to leave. Yesterday our longest-term friend left. We miss him already, although we did manage to hide some lost and found undies in his car before he left. So, sometime in the near future he will find a little present to remember us by.
Lenny is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. He is incredibly open to learning new things, and spent many hours in the garden with us here at Solscape and at Kai Whenua. He also laughs at all the same things I do. I haven't giggled nearly as much since he left. Grasshopper, little brother, the soul of solscape, we'll see you sometime soon, I'm sure.

In the meantime though, we are searching for a new apprentice. This is Sequoia. And these are her strawberries. She is high on enthusiasm and energy, but low on hard skills.
Nelson, didn't you read the sign?

This is Phil, the owner of Solscape, in the garden we've expanded. High on skills and enthusiasm. Low on time.

This is Charles, Ernesto, and Pablo (not pictured). On their first day wwoofing we tackled the compost pile turned hornets nest. Notice how Ernesto is wearing shorts while battling hornets? Meanwhile Charles and I were wearing at least 3 layers of rain gear. I was still afraid I would get stung and end up looking like Sloth from the Goonies. I think theses guys have potential.


Oh, by the way. I love where we live.

1 comment:

Lizzie G said...

I want to be where you are! Damn this work stuff!